19 weeks


How far along?: 19 weeks + 4 days today! A little behind given the holiday and I wanted to wait for the results of our Anatomy Ultrasound which we FINALLY got scheduled for today! *Spoiler Alert: New pictures of Baby Nora at the end of this post!*

Size of the Baby: Today we found out that she is right about 10 ounces which is bigger than my apps suggest but she’s measuring to the day she should be.  Given she’s our IVF baby I told the ultrasound tech I could tell her the exact time-to the minute-of when she was put in there so I know the exact due date and she measured perfectly!  My app says shes about the size of a hedgehog (my favorite!), a Gameboy, a zucchini, a tomato, and a mango!15676547_615449471973598_4470550793686524017_o

Baby Bump: I can tell it’s getting bigger and rounding out. I had been using Palmer’s Stretch Mark Body Butter but we noticed I was starting to develop a rash so I have been using some organic body butter with natural oils and it seems to be doing the trick!  Hubby helped me capture my first (public) bump pic on Christmas.  It was nice to reflect on and I’m excited to repeat the picture next year but with a baby in my arms instead!

Gender:  I’m SO happy because we got visual confirmation today that she is indeed a SHE! As Hubby said “DNA doesn’t lie!” but I needed to see for myself that our NIPT was correct and I asked the tech today if she could “check for a lack of man parts”.  She even gave me a picture!

She didn’t make it easy but we got proof she’s a girl!!!


Movement: I’ve been noticing little popcorn-popping-like movement usually after I eat and at night.  Contrary to what was said at a recent ER visit ultrasound (details below), today’s ultrasound showed my placenta is indeed anterior (in the front) which explains why I’m not feeling full blown kicks yet since it is acting like a cushion right now.  I know I need to be careful what I wish for, but I’m so excited to feel her move more and more.

Sleep: I’m starting to go back downhill on the whole sleep thing again.  I just can’t seem to get comfortable and I’ve reached the point where my belly has to be supported or it hurts. Thank goodness for pregnancy pillows! My sciatic nerve is having flare ups again and I knew it was only a matter of time so trying to sleep in comfortable positions for that reason, too.  Other than that, I find myself waking up around 3am or 4am and I’ll be wide awake for an hour.  My body must be preparing myself for the future! Haha!

Maternity Clothes:  I was handed down a few more things from my sister-in-law and she had some of the most comfortable shirts!  They are my go-to’s right now.  There were some nicer shirts I can use for church I’m excited to try out!  I have found out I must wear pants with a full-panel belly band or I’ll pay for it later.  I’m hoping to do some shopping when my mom and I have a girls day in a couple weeks and get a few more things.

Symptoms: Last week, I wrote about a trip to the ER where they were sure I had a kidney stone or two. If I’ve learned anything with this  entire journey, just when I think we have things figured out, we are blindsided again.  The morning of the 18th, I had woken up to get ready for church and noticed the cramping and soreness I had had since the previous ER trip that week had intensified.  I heard the front door shut as Hubby had just walked out of the house to go get coffee before he had to be at worship team rehearsal as I went to the restroom.  As I finished, I saw bright red blood and I knew it wasn’t caused by a kidney stone (different area). I immediately began to panic.  I grabbed my phone and frantically called Hubby, hoping he hadn’t made it too far.  He answered and I blurted out “I need you back here, I’m bleeding, I need you. Please, come back!”  Every fear, negative thought and all the anxiety settled in my chest as I began sobbing.  I just kept thinking, I can’t believe this is happening again.  God, please don’t let this happen to us again.  Luckily, Hubby hadn’t even pulled out of the driveway yet so he quickly came back inside and found me shaking in the bathroom.  He told me to get dressed, he would take me to the ER and told me to do my best to not panic because that will only make things worse for me and for her.  Too late, already panicking. We rush to the hospital and along the way I feel lots of cramps and pain which didn’t help my anxiety at all.  We arrive and surprisingly, at 8am on a Sunday morning, there was no one else in the waiting room and they got me right back to a room.  We were greeted by the nurse practitioner who said the doctor was going to grab the ER ultrasound machine and just check on the baby first.  This thing was the crappiest machine I have ever seen but we made it work and we saw her in there moving as well as her heart beating.  They had trouble measuring the heartbeat so he explained the nurse would grab the doppler and try to get a heart rate measured. As usual, the keyword here is try because we all know I have the world’s best hide and seek champion in my belly but after 20 minutes of her literally kicking away from the doppler wand we caught a heartbeat to be measured.  After some other tests, they couldn’t really come up with a reason for the bleeding but was reassured baby was okay and since I hadn’t had any more bleeding they sent me home to rest.  I went home and slept for about four hours.  I woke up and decided to try to eat something and in the 10 minutes I was up moving, the cramping and pain returned.  I went to the restroom again and found blood again.  I decided to call our OB on call first to see what they wanted me to do before we made the choice to go back.  While speaking with her, she asked if they checked my cervix or anything to ensure I wasn’t in pre-term labor. I told her no and she didn’t seem very happy and told me to go back and she would send orders to check.  On our way back to the ER, I spoke with one of my best friends who used to be a nurse at the same hospital and knows the doctor I talked to and her response was “Yeah, I bet she’s not happy and I’m sure they know you are coming now!”  They sure did!  When I walked in the triage nurse said she had just gotten off the phone with the OB and someone from radiology would be up to get me.  They took me back and did a cervical length check via ultrasound and measured her heart rate again and we later found out everything looked good and normal.  However, before receiving the results, the ER doctor came in and told us it sounded like I was in preterm labor and at 18 weeks there wasn’t anything they could do to stop it.  I thought Hubby was going to knock him out. Luckily, everything checked out fine and again they sent us home for a follow up with my OB’s office (I already had an appointment scheduled for that Tuesday) and to take it easy.  At my follow up appointment, I met with a nurse practitioner at the office and after hearing about our 3 ER visits and assortment of tests she felt my pain could be caused by a bladder infection and the stones.  Her thought about the bleeding is it could be caused by a fast growing uterus and broken capillaries in my cervix and said since it hadn’t continued she wasn’t too worried about it and sometimes it just happens in pregnancies.  I was prescribed a week of antibiotics and after all was said and done, I feel a lot better now.  Our anatomy ultrasound today showed my cervix is still long and normal and no outlying issues elsewhere. By far, the scariest experience I have experienced in a long time and I’ve learned to not take this pregnancy for granted.

Cravings: This week, it’s been chocolate cake! 15590936_10100578053333910_4298353258412339972_oOne evening, before bed I was really craving it and luckily, we had a box of cake mix in our pantry so I made a cake at 10pm!   It was so delicious!

Aversions: I can’t really think of any new ones.  Overly greasy food is still on my bad list. I had Sonic for dinner last week because I was in a pinch and I felt awful afterwards.   

Missing Most: I miss being able to do regular household things/chores in a timely manner.  I noticed while cleaning the house for the holidays, I had to take numerous breaks for my back and it took me almost three times as long.  I got really frustrated last night because I was working on cleaning out Nora’s future nursery and while pre-pregnant me would already be done, pregnant me only got about halfway done before I called it quits.

Nursery: I did start clearing it out and I’ll be working on it little by little the rest of this week. Hubby and I had the realization that time is flying by and I want to be able to help as much as possible, while I still can!

Best Part of the Week: Finally receiving the call last week to schedule our anatomy ultrasound for today!   It was nice having a scheduled ultrasound with a lot less stress and being able to see her wiggle around.  We have to go back in three weeks to get pictures of things we weren’t able to see today.  Little Miss kept putting her hands in front of her face and had her head down low so we were unable to get a good picture of her profile. They also want to check for a cleft palate but they couldn’t see her lips this time around.

Can’t Wait For:  K is coming for the weekend! She was supposed to come yesterday for a week but was sick so we had to postpone her visit.  We have a regular OB appointment next Tuesday and to follow up from last week’s craziness.

Here are the pictures we were able to get of Miss Nora today!  She is quite perfect but I might be a little biased! 🙂

Her arm and hand waving hello!
At one point, she stretched out her legs really far! 


Until next time,




One thought on “19 weeks

  1. Alex Thiessen says:

    So sorry to hear about your scare, and praising God that Nora was okay and your OB was helpful and attentive!!! That little hand and foot are precious! So happy for you 😊


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s